THIS photo depicts early evidence of brickworks occurring near St Mary’s Catholic Primary School in Warracknabeal.
The exact era of when the photograph was taken is undetermined.
The Warracknabeal and District Historical Society found two photographs of the brickworks, with one identifying the location.
The site was reportedly alongside the Yarriambiack Creek between what is now the St Mary’s Primary School oval.
Written on the back of the photo was “Trew Brickworks” along with the location indicating a potential owner of the site.
According to Heritage Victoria early forms of the process of brick making involved extracting unrefined clay from a clay hole and load it onto an inclined tramway which transported it to hoppers located in the upper section of a mill building.
This photo indicates workers were using early methods of brick production.
The Industrial Revolution brought on a wave of machinery and new technology.
Australian manufacturing was vastly improved in the 1800s by the a massive scientific, engineering, communications and transport advances occurring in Britain at the time on account of the Industrial Revolution.
Processes became far more efficient and more cost effective, with the development of steel machinery, brick-making became faster and better.
Multiple bricks could be produced at a time, and their quality and consistency were perfected.
Construction was a vital component of the industrial revolution, so mass production of bricks was a necessity.
Brick making was one of the first industries in Australia.
Australia’s first brick building, Government House, was officially opened on June 4, 1789 just 16 months after the landing at Sydney Cove.