Advertisement

Council

17 February, 2026

Four roads to close within Donald mining licence

The Yarriambiack Shire Council has approved the removal and discontinuation of roads within the Donald Mine, following a request from Donald Project PL.

By Sheryl Lowe

Roads inside Donald Mine Footprint will be permanently closed
Roads inside Donald Mine Footprint will be permanently closed

The Yarriambiack Shire Council has approved the removal and discontinuation of roads within the Donald Mine, following a request from Donald Project PL.

Three named roads and one unnamed road within the mine site will be permanently closed and discontinued.

The council noted in its January 28 meeting minutes that discontinuing the roads could have prompted the State to use alternative powers to override the decision; however, landowners said they would have preferred the council to back them and not discontinue the roads.

"Upon discontinuance, the land will be returned and vested in the Crown," council CEO Tammy Smith said. "This is because the land under the roads belongs to the State Government, not the council. Therefore, the State Government will determine its future use."

The mine is owned and operated by Donald Project Pty Ltd, trading as Donald Mineral Sands, and the roads are identified for discontinuation within the approved work plan located within MIN5532.

The DMS work plan, approved by the Victorian Government in June 2025, requires the decommissioning of these roads before mining, with the land reverting to Crown ownership upon discontinuance.

The Department of Environment, Energy, and Climate Action has set rehabilitation and land restoration requirements to ensure the land is returned to agricultural use or native vegetation after mining.

The roads identified for removal are 2km of R Funckes Road, 3.15km of AB Funckes Road, and 1.26km of Westerlands Road. The request also identified a road is 1.72km.

Once discontinued, the land beneath these roads will be returned to DEECA.

The council was required to follow the road discontinuance process under clause 3 of Schedule 10 of the Local Government Act 1989, including public notice and consideration of submissions under section 223 for any road closure.

Consultation on the permanent closure took place from October 8 to November 7, 2025, using newsletters, social media, newspapers, direct letters, and phone calls to landholders.

The council received 22 valid submissions, including objections and operational concerns, with specific input from the Dunmunkle Land Protection Group.

In addition, the council held a further meeting with submitters on January 19 to gauge the full extent of their concerns regarding the road closures.

While the council said they followed the community consultation process in accordance with the Local Government Act 2020 and the council’s community engagement policy, some landowners said they felt that, as the road closures had already been included in the mine’s approved Work Plan, it was almost pointless to be invited to have their say, which would not have changed the outcome.

Advertisement

The council minutes noted that traffic data from the 2025 harvest period showed very low use of all affected roads, with minimal heavy-vehicle traffic.

Several viable alternative routes exist for local traffic, though some may require upgrades or result in longer travel distances for farm machinery.

The council also stated that public safety was a critical factor in evaluating the request to discontinue the road.

The presence of increased heavy-vehicle traffic, dust generation, deteriorated road conditions, and roads’ locations within active mining blocks, including proximity to the Tailings Storage Facility, collectively pose significant risks if the roads are kept open during operational activities.

The mine is a State and Commonwealth-recognised major project generating an estimated 600 jobs and contributing $205 million annually to the region.

The council said that even taking that data into account, the Shire’s agricultural sector continued to play a critical economic role and accepted that community submissions had highlighted concerns about the compatibility of mining with farming, land rehabilitation processes, and associated fire risks.

The agenda stated the recommendation before the council, "in no way lessens the importance of agriculture and the farming sector within our community."

As the responsible road authority, the council must meet its obligations under the Road Management Act 2004.

After thoroughly reviewing submissions and assessment evidence, the council determined that closing and discontinuing these roads was the only viable option.

The council secured a commitment from DMS to resheet a portion of Burrum Lawler Road and to cover the annual expenses for the alternative detour route.

Additionally, DMS agreed to upgrade the perimeter roads to ensure all-weather access. with Walsh Lane and sections of Gun Club Road scheduled for upgrades.

Further upgrades to Minyip-Rich Avon Road and R Funckes Road are planned for 2026.

A DMS spokesperson confirmed that the closure and discontinuation of the mentioned roads would be permanent.

The motion to adopt the recommendation was moved by Cr Kirk, seconded by Cr Zanker, and carried unanimously.

Advertisement

Latest Articles

Advertisement

Most Popular

Advertisement