General News
5 September, 2026
Veterans Voices: History of the James Lawson Depot Part 1
The Horsham Army Drill Hall on Baille Street, constructed around 1916, is a key piece of military history in the region. The Hall and depot were built during a period of significant expansion of the Australian armed forces, coinciding with the lead-up to and the outbreak of World War I.

The Horsham Army Drill Hall on Baille Street, constructed around 1916, is a key piece of military history in the region.
The Hall and depot were built during a period of significant expansion of the Australian armed forces, coinciding with the lead-up to and the outbreak of World War I.
The hall, like many others of its time, was built in corrugated iron and represents a standard design used for drill halls.
The following history of the James Lawson Depot was composed for the centenary celebrations on November 28, 2015, by the late Major James Amos RFD ED, who was a long-serving Depot Commander for 13 years.
At the turn of the century, some Military Units existed in Horsham between 1888 and 1902.
There was “C” Company, Victorian Rangers (recruited from Rifle Clubs).
In the early 1900s, many local men and nurses enlisted for service in South Africa in the Boer War.
Horsham 298 State School had a cadet unit in 1901.
Between 1903 and 1912 there was the 9th Australian Light Horse (Victorian Mounted Rifles).
In 1915, the Government of the day purchased a block of land bounded by Baillee and Davey Streets, for £479 ($120,634 in today's economy).
A Type 4 Drill Hall was built on the site for £1127 pounds ($283,831).
In 1912–1933, the 19th Light Horse Regiment (Yarrowee Light Horse, named after the Yarrowee region near Ballarat) operated at the Horsham Depot, and in 1916 the building and stables were completed.
Members of the Light Horse units were paid to provide their own horses for training.
In 1933, the Light Horse unit was mechanised and became the 19th Light Horse Armored Car Regiment, then later becoming the 1st Armored Car Regiment between 1934 and 1939.
In 1935, Parade Cards showed that the Officer Commanding was Colonel James Lawson, Distinguished Service Order, Voluntary Defense (DSO VD).
Members provided many of their own civilian vehicles for training, and they were the first units in Australia to be issued with the “Ned Kelly” Armored Car.
Further changes between 1940 -1942 saw the emergence of the 19th Light Horse Machine Gun Regiment.
This became the 19th Machine Gun Regiment/Battalions, who were deployed to Darwin in January 1942, and faced the bombing of Darwin by Japanese aircraft on Febuary 19, 1942.
They held their reunions at the depot for many years.
From 1942- 1945, the Volunteer Defense Corps (VDC - composed of WWI veterans, farmers, and citizens in reserved occupations) were tasked with guarding the 3WV Radio Transmitter located at Dooen, which was reportedly utilised to broadcast coded messages.
From 1945 - 1948, as far as it was ascertained, the Drill Hall was vacant.
July 1948 saw the re-raising of the Citizen Military Forces (CMF), who then occupied the Drill Hall/ Depot.
During 1948 – 1952, the “A“ Squadron, 4/19th Armored Regiment, General Grant Tanks - Canadian Lynx Scout Cars – White Scout Cars were stationed at the Horsham Depot.
From 1952 to 1973, 36 Transport Company, Royal Australian Army Service Corps (RAASC) occupied the depot.
From 1953–1956, the 36 Transport Company (Platoon) (Warracknabeal) operated out of the Depot.
In 1962, the Army Depot was the first to have the 36 Transport Company Workshops, Royal Australian Electrical & Mechanical Engineers.
The depot was the first to have a training element of the Australian Army Catering Corps (AACC) with a training kitchen.
Between 1965 – 1975, a Transport Element of Headquarters, Corps Royal Australian Army Service Corps (HQ CRAASC) 3 Div was established at the Horsham Depot.
Between 1973 and 1975, 36 Transport Company, Royal Australian Corps of Transport (RACT) (Horsham/ Stawell), 129 Platoon was established.
There was a 36 Transport Company Workshop, Royal Australian Electrical & Mechanical Engineers (RAEME) (Stawell).
From 1975, the 15 Transport Squadron, Royal Australian Corps of Transport (RACT), 128 Transport Troop (40 The Australian Air Force Cadets) also operated from the Lawson Depot.
After the completion of the Drill Hall, the first unit in occupation was the Yarrowee Light Horse.
As well as the Hall, stables were built on the Eastern Side of the parade ground.
These were later converted to house the Armored Cars of the 1st Armored Car Regiment.
Again in 1948 and the early fifties, buildings were again modified to house the General Grant Tanks and other armored vehicles of “A” Squadron 4/19th.
Once again in the 1960’s and later, they were further modified to house the modern transport vehicles of the Royal Australian Army Service Corps (RAASC) and the Royal Australian Corps of Transport (RACT).
Because of a lack of space in the original depot, Nissan Huts were established at the southern end of the parade ground for use as lecture rooms.
A Nissan Hut was also established to house the Horsham Small Bore Rifle Club in the same area, although still on Commonwealth land and situated outside the Depot boundary.
The Nissan huts were demolished, and today an accommodation block exists in the same area.
Army Reserve Ambassador (ARA) second–in–charge Captain Ralph Darlington and Jim Amos discovered that the Stawell Depot had more buildings than they required and convinced the Army and Dept of Works that 36 Coy should acquire these buildings and relocate to Horsham Training Depot.
These are the buildings on the Eastern side of the parade ground and housed, over time, the Q store and Armoury, a training kitchen for cooks, and the HQ CRAASC 3 Div Transport Element.
When Jim Amos arrived on the scene in 1948 with 4/19th PWLH, the parade ground was just dirt and gravel, much churned up by tanks.
In 1952/53, when 36 Coy took over the depot, a motorcycle training track was built around the parade ground perimeter.
In 1956, the only Army Reserve Ambassador (ARA), Officer Capt David Morison, ever to administer command of 36 Coy, convinced the Dept of Work to seal the parade ground as we have today.
The building to the rear of the depot has been used for many purposes, such as a tank hangar, Lecture room, transport office, workshop, etc.
For many years, the depot was recognised by two magnificent pencil pines at the front door.
Also adjacent to the depot were two married quarters for Army Reserve Ambassador (ARA) Cadre Staff, which were demolished some time ago.
If anyone wishes to add more to the Horsham Drill Hall History, please contact the Horsham RSL.